The last two days were long stretches. Yesterday with some massive climbs and today with a lot of rolling country roads. Yesterday in the cold and rain. Today in the sun and hot. Both days left me breathless at almost every corner with how beautiful the country is. And, as we move out of the Alps and down into Provence, how beautiful the country is in much different ways.
(About to roll out of Valloire for the Galibier and then I'Izoard)
Becky (Beaux Reves) Barron joined the group for the start of the Galibier, making a hard and valiant effort up the first steep section of road out of the ski town of Valloire. Becky made it to the bar/cafe in the bottom left of the photo. The picture really doesn't do this place justice. It was breathtaking in its starkness and complete newness. Nothing I've seen in the States is like this.
(Becky's pick up spot)
Of course, since she was in the van at this point, Becky didn't get the "pleasure" of the rest of the road. For the unintiated, this climb is labeled "HC" by the Tour de France, meaning it is so difficult, they don't try to rate it. It's just Hors Category, or Beyond Classification.
("Pleasure")
(One of our guides on the way up. Not sure how he manages to smile while doing this. I was in pure agony.)
Being on top of the Galibier feels a little like being on top of the world. You feel just about at the highest point imaginable, eye level with every mountain as far as you can see.
(Dave - one of the tour riders, not the tour guide David . . . see post on Class . . . - and I rode up Galibier together, and later the I'Izoard. There is a bond now. Me and Dave, "Come on son, let's do this climb together". Dave is from london.)
(Me and Dave. What are we talking about here . . . gee, maybe the weather or somthin')
(Becky wants another shot at it . . . maybe next year)
(The road down the other side. This was about 30 kilometers of 40 mile an hour, hold onto the bars for dear life descending. Outstanding.)
(Before going down the other side, a quick stop for espresso)
(OK, now the Galibier is over, which way to the I'Izoard . . . .)
(This way)
The landscape began to change as we rolled to the I'Izoard. The mountains were still steep and hard, but the jagged rocks began to soften just a bit, and trees and fields began to appear.
(Well maybe not completely away from the jagged rocks)
(A quick stop to fill up water bottles, and wait for Dave to catch on for the final push)
(Dave putting in a big effort up the mountain)
(Me and that Dave guy again)
Becky wanted to ride in the last 35 kilometers or so, so we bid farewell to the group, put the rain gear on and rolled on home. We got just a bit lost, and completely soaked, but made it home just in time for dinner.
(Looking out over the valley where we were headed. Where the land seems to disappear is where we are headed).
Today, we began to inch into Provence on our way to Mount Ventoux. The landscape was decidedly different today, with apple and pear orchards lining the roads as we circled a beautiful lake.
After doing some insanely steep, but mercifully short climbs around and out of the lake side, we stopped for a picnic lunch by a river.
(Our hotel tonight is just behind that mountain in the distance)
Becky was ready for another shot at the bike, this time 50 kilometers, so as the boys took a little break, we pushed on.
(Boys breaking)
(Us pushing)
(On the way through a small town, a sign reminds drivers to think of cyclists. Got to love it.)
(Happy at kilometer 5. Kilometer 50 isn't posted)
Some lovely, lovely land rolled by on the way home today.




































Yeah! Another post. Missed your update yesterday, but after seeing those pics of the cold wet weather and the steep steep mountains I know why! Provence looks so beautiful. The pictures are amazing! You guys must be burning some serious calories. Petey, be safe on the Ventoux ride. Don't do anything crazy:)
ReplyDeleteMissing you all here in Cali!
A and Syd
Oh how we missed your post yesterday!! We completely understand how tired you must have been from those crazy steep climbs! Again such beautiful vistas....nice to admire as I sit in the 'mo! Peter you are a climbing monster and Becky...no words to describe how much I admire your new biking talents!
ReplyDeleteBe careful!
Love,
Mary (mom)
I too missed yesterday's posts but after seeing all the energy you put into the past two days, I will get over it! Like Grammy Mary, I am sitting on my butt in the 'ville admiring all of you for your sheer stamina. Peter, good for you for keeping not only yourself focused on the tough but beautiful ride but encouraging the Becks to continue on. I feel so proud of both of you! As Annie said, don't do anything crazy and be safe. Thanks for posting and making us all feel that we are right along for the ride.
ReplyDeleteLove, Grace