Neil and I had a chance to catch each other for a beer at our hotel then a little dinner on the town. The hotel kitty snuggled up with me, it took all I had to not share my universal warning/phobia of stray-cat worms with Neil.
Aix is a super busy town, with people out around town morning and night. This morning was all about exploring and finding gifts for loved ones. The old town is enormous compared to other cities, so I got lost a few times, but that is part of the fun of exploring.
The pedestrian (mostly) boulevard, Cors de Mirabeau, and the fountain that is the entry to the ancient part of city.
A lot of churches spread throughout the city, just in the ancient city I found four - and I'm sure I missed a few. The art inside was spectacular per usual.
I also stumbled upon three different open air markets. One flowers, one food, and one arts and crafts. Not the best markets I've seen in France, but one of the best places to see what the local people are all about.
I love taking pictures of City Halls - so much respect and grandeur afforded to the city governments no matter how big or small the town we are in. If you look close, this is also the scene of a wonderfully random street concert later that night.
Returning back to my exploration of the city . . .
(Cezanne died in this house - the more you know!)
Some pastis, olives, bread, cheese . . . a little rose. Makes for a nice lunch!
Managed to track down some gifts for the lovelies back at home.
B got a fish, complete with eye balls, scales, and tail for dinner - just what she wanted. She has vowed to go strictly vegetarian for the rest of the trip.
Some Cafe Gourmand makes up for any dinner short-comings, though. Amongst all of the tasty home-made treats is a marshmallow and gummy crocodile on a stick. Love it.
And to cap it off, some old school/new school street music. Starting with some Django homage, ending with techno-trash can/auto parts percussion jam session.
And this guy was LOVING it.
Great pics! Thanks for posting!!
ReplyDeleteLove your pictures, Peter. Good luck on those upcoming mountains! Thanks for spending the time to post!
ReplyDelete