Today was the first real day of riding, and a different route from 2009 when we did this trip before. This time, they put in a couple new climbs, though, before getting to Alpe D'Huez. In the end, we had around 75 miles and 11,500 feet of climbing. Everyone was so tired that we contemplated skipping some of dinner and going to sleep. But, what an amazing day, and a wonderful way to start.
The day started off with a bizarre mechanical problem. Kari's rear wheel essentially exploded in the hotel parking lot before we left, with hotel staff and patrons all running out thinking that someone was just shot. So, he had to skip most of the day - fortunately able to buy new wheels at the bottom of D'Huez and ride up with us to cap off the day.
 |
I was reminded of how much I like French breakfast on these trips. Before you judge, I burned 5,000 calories today. Cafe au Lait - Check Fresh fruit with yoghurt - Check Fresh orange juice - Check Baguette - Check Sausage and cured ham - Check Croissant - Check Pain au Chocolat - Check Oh, and some cheese - Check
|
I wanted to share some more pictures of the hotel last night since it was so amazing. So, here you go. Amazing, right?
 |
| The group all ready to go |
 |
| But wait - for you cycling geeks, that would be the rim dangling from the wheel. Thankfully it happened here and not out on the road. |
I'm reminded of how beautiful this part of the world is when we get a chance to ride through it. We began with a short climb into a bit of a valley gorge leading into the Alpes proper. The big one on the right is our first real climb of the day.
 |
| A pretty stream running along the valley |
 |
| Mark and B, at the rest stop - almost at the top. |
 |
| The little coffee shop at the top of the climb hand out certificates for people who ride up. |
Maybe one of the most bizarre "discotheque" names I've come across in a small alpine ski town, and a little foreshadowing of things to come . . .
Apparently there has been some kind of harvest festival going around with towns putting out scarecrows as decoration. Most of them are pretty freaky little things, but we thought we would snuggle up to these little ladies.
And, then back on to more beautiful countryside.
 |
| Don't know what this is all about, but the town had these goats all over the place. Thought the kids would like it. |
 |
| Thought this photo turned out funny. Not sure what it really is, but it looks an awful lot like David and I stopped the group so we could start smooching. |
 |
| Butterflies are all over the place right now. I was able to sneak up on these little guys. |
 |
| B and Thomas at the top of our 3rd climb. |
 |
| Looking down the start of the descent of the D'Ornon. Right, where does the road go - it drops off on a wicked and fun downhill, that's where. Right to the bottom - kind of - of Alpe D'Huez. |
 |
| At the bike shop where we picked up Kari and his new wheels. An entire fleet of rental bikes: Pinarello Dogmas. Again, another bike geek reference. Don't really see this in the States. |
And then it was on to this beastie. No real pictures along the way since it so damn hard a climb.
 |
| A view from the top, which doesn't do it justice. It climbs directly up the face of a mountain, 21 switch backs from the bottom, mostly 10% grade (i.e. steep as hell). |
 |
| B at the finish line of the Tour de France Stage here this year. |
Without asking, the hotel brought us out this massive bowl of pasta and sauce. In addition to the fancy duck dinner they prepared. They do appreciate how hard it is to ride up this thing.
Sydney says "Have fun on your trip! I love your pictures Daddy. I love you."
ReplyDeleteWe loved the pictures of your breakfast, wholly moly! Nice job getting up the mountain. The picture from the top is incredible!
I continue to be impressed with the fact that you can do this blog after climbing that monster!! Thank you! Love all the pictures and that breakfast.....ohhh that almost made me wish I was there!! So glad that everyone made it up AND down the mountain in one piece. The stamina that you all have to that....awesome!!
ReplyDeleteOkay, like Grammy Mary, I am in awe of the fact that you are able to work so hard and post such amazing pics! Stunning!! I love the breakfast pic, Peter sitting with the straw people (love the leg cross!), B's ever smiling face, and the incredible scenery! The hotel looks like a place that I would stay at. I agree, the deer carving is a bit different! Thanks for continuing to post such wonderful tales of your trip Peter.
ReplyDelete