Monday, September 4, 2017

Alpe D'Huez


Take a moment to enjoy that!













An easy day today except for one of the hardest climbs in the book at the end. This trip used to have two additional climbs in it, and I can't remember how we actually got to the hotel room in one piece with that route. As it was, we had a good long warm up with a nice picnic by the river, then a quick spin to the bottom of the beast. For the record, here is finally a group photo: the three Americans, a Canadian, and a bunch of Kiwis.


At the top of the starting climb out of the hotel, I stopped for a quick pick of everyone riding through. I didn't get everyone, but the most of us.










And a little group selfie action shot.



The scenery really started to open up today. Tall alpine cliffs, snow still on the ground in some areas. Gushing snow-melt rivers. Reminders of why we love riding here so much.








Along the way, a sign for what is to come tomorrow (the first of three climbs!!)


Susan picked a nice place for lunch today!


And, then it was on to the Alpe.

Coming through the town on the valley floor

I didn't stop for pics along the way for this one, just put my head down and slowly made my way up. There was a time I cracked an hour on this. Not so much any more.


Toward the top, I was going slow enough to get the cycle-art.


A few twists and turns through the ski station at the top, and the mercy of the finish line appears!


View from the top!
Here comes Mark across the finish line
 B had a hard time up, but made it!


B and Mark crossing together
 A little celebration before heading back to the hotel, which was just a few hairpin turns back down the mountain.


For a second, I thought about a quick run on the treadmill at the hotel workout room/wine cave. Next time!


The hotel is part of the tiny Alpe D'Huez village, which isn't at all the big ski station. Church bells from next door went all night! But the views from the hotel are pretty nice.










REALLY big day tomorrow. Hopefully the internet is better at our next hotel so I can get the post up sooner. Love to everyone back home. Oh, and just for the hell of it, here are puppets of Sly and Arnold doing the news in France. TV is bizarre here.



3 comments:

  1. My legs hurt just seeing the route that you completed today! Ride today (Tuesday) sounds worse!! I'll never understand this groups idea of fun!!!
    It continues to be gorgeous scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flower boxes along the roadway. Kudos to B and to all of you for being the persistent bikers you are. I agree with Mary- not my idea of fun. I like the wine and food part though! And the breathtaking scenery. My legs hurt now so gotta go for some refreshments. Thx for the update Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the big climb! I never would be able to do it, but would have definitely enjoyed a little treadmill action in the cave-ha! Thanks for updating the blog and keeping us posted. I know sometimes its hard to stay awake to post pics but know they are appreciated! Love you!

    ReplyDelete