Friday, September 1, 2017

Wait, what time is it?

The body clock if officially broken. Unable to keep my eyes open during dinner, unable to keep them closed in the small hours of night. Sleepy but wide awake. It's always the second day that gets me.

Today was a nice walk around day, exploring the city after after a number of years away, and seeing some sights that we missed the first time around. One thing is for sure, while there is not the kind of public art you find in other cities, Grenoble is a beautiful, particularly along the river and in the ancient district.











A little walk in the morning, before the day starts for the locals.


I'm on the lookout for "anything dog" as requested by Sydney




I missed the city cemetery last time, so made a point of exploring today.








The city is full of old bikes. I haven't seen a fancy one yet - just old beaters. But proof positive that a bike can be the best way to get around town. Of course, you can always rent one, too . . .






Pink kitty bike wins best in show!
We spent the afternoon trying to hit all the little alley ways, side streets, and old squares. In part to stay awake, in part because everything is just lovely.






The door to the city, part of the old city wall. 
A beautiful garden park behind the door today


Got to pick up your poop. A world-wide universal truth!
A little refreshment break!
For dinner, one of the best meals we have had. Starting with homemade tomato and mozzarella salad, beef with potatoes mixed with melted goat cheese, and an amazing cafe gourmand. Nestled against a church built in the early 1200's.




Again, thank me later.



Potentially the reason why I'm not sleeping - multiple petite cafe for me
Can't forget the Chartreuse! Rumored to have 140 herbs and plants in the distillation process. I think we guessed 4. We have refined palates.


Back to bed for me, got to fight the body clock a little more.



4 comments:

  1. Again.......beautiful city! Always so impressed with the beauty of the old buildings. I feel for all of you trying to adjust to the time. Hang in there! It looks like it's not that warm right now. We are setting heat records here.....106 degrees in SF! You can imagine what it is here in the east bay!
    Enjoy and look forward to more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many lovely pieces of art and history. The time change can be tough so I applaud your being able to adjust to it as best you can. Food and drink makes me hungry and thirsty! Always good to see the smiling Mark and B. Like Mary, I am looking forward to all the news and photos ahead! Safe biking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the pics are amazing, what a beautiful city. And yes the pink kitty bike wins for sure! Sorry you're body clock is not adjusting, hopefully soon you'll be on schedule! Looking forward to seeing more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing adventure you had. All
    If he museum pieces are stunning. The architecture is so appealing to me. And I especially love the last pic showing just what tired is! Happy cycling to all.

    ReplyDelete